Sunday, December 28, 2008

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Christmas in Switzerland . . . .
. . . Has a nice ring to it, as my brother said the other day.
He was right. It is beautiful in so many ways.
First, it snowed a couple of weeks before, so that set the spell. Interesting--it snowed on green fields. Yes. And when it melts, the fields are still green. When we are used to the desert, that seems impossible.
Second, the downtown decor inside and out is gorgeous.
Third, the people around us are so kind. We had five--yes, five--invitations to Christmas Day dinner, none of which we could accept because we would be in Basel with Leonard's family.
Fourth, I had a sort of little Christmas miracle, a tender mercy, if you will. Prior to the showing of the First Presidency Christmas Devotional, the stake members gathered and sang Christmas carols for about a half-hour. Now I have to say something about the singing in church here. They sing! With hearty voices. It is wonderful to be in a congregation with enthusiastic singing. Somehow it brings a spirit of joy and unity. My singing, which earlier in my life was pretty good and enjoyable for me, has become laborious and frustrating because of my failing ability. The voice just doesn't come out. I remember how it sounded, and how it felt. And I can't do it anymore. BUT, during the congregational singing on that particular evening, my voice worked! I actually sang! It was thrilling and fun and joyful. I don't know why it worked, but it did. I like to think maybe it was Heavenly Father's arm around me. Anyway, it was a miracle to me.
Fifth, we enjoyed spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my husband's family. We haven't been able to do that for 45 years. We were with Gretel at Marlies and Sergio's home for the Eve, after visiting the grave of their mother and joinging other cemetery visitors with candlelight caroling, band music, and listening to a pastor read the Christmas Story from a German Bible. At their home, we ate and read the Christmas story again in Basel-Deutsch and in English. Christmas Day we visited an art museum, then joined the family again for dinner at Marlies and Sergio's.
Just focusing on being together was a gift to us.
Finally, but most important, Christmas anywhere is wonderful, just to consider the object of the celebration--the Lord Jesus Christ. How he came to earth part mortal and part divine is hard to comprehend. Impossible to comprehend, actually. But he did come. And the prophesies were fulfilled. And from that coming we have the everlasting gospel, lost for a time, now restored again in its fulness. We know who we are, why we are here, and what will happen to us after this life--the answers to all the questions the people of the world are searching for. Interestingly, many reject what would bring them hope, peace, and fulfillment in this life, and everlasting joy in the next. But all Christians, whatever the basis of their beliefs, celebrate at this time with loving gestures to each other, and happy times together.
I think He probably likes that.
Merry Christmas 2008 everybody.