Thursday, October 2, 2008

WAFFLE NIGHT! FIRST OUTREACH ACTIVITY

The Institute Council planned an activity at the center and decided that since we had offered to cook, it would be a waffle night.
And when they weren't eating they were playing. There are three game tables in the center, and you can see all in action here--pool, fussball (or kicker, as some call it) and ping pong.
Cooking the waffles . . .
. . . how full do I fill it?
Elder Grassli and I bought a waffle iron for the center, a member of the Bern Ward bishopric bought another for himself (!) and the council found two to borrow.
Sister Walker and I kept them steaming the whole time.
(The night before, I had missed Family Home Evening because I had a fever from my infected jaw. --see post below-- I also missed district meeting this morning. We prayed that I would feel well enough to do the waffles . . . after all, we had promised! You can't see my left jaw, but those who know me will notice the swelling under my chin, if they click on the picture to enlarge it. The kids were great and sympathized, but didn't make it an event. I was grateful for the blessing to be there that night with these wonderful Young Single Adults.)
Eating the waffles . . .
. . . can I put chocolate, peanut butter, and maple syrup on the same waffle?
Your choice!

I have described in a previous post how they all run around the table and keep the ball going back and forth on the table forever! When one misses a point, he stands out, and this goes on until there are two left. Then it's a real challenge to run around and not miss a hit! We tried to photo-catch the action, but not too well!

Our grandchildren should get a kick out of this photo!

Better watch out kids, he's getting pretty good!
And I'm grateful to be his missionary companion!

These activities give the YSAs a chance to enjoy being together at times other than the classes, which of course, are the prime purpose of Institute. But it's nice to relax together, too, and they can bring non-member and less active friends to have fun with them in a wholesome, accepting, and safe atmosphere. We hope they'll plan many more!

4 comments:

Julie said...

Wow, those YSA's don't know how lucky they are to have Elder and Sister Grassli "at their service". I love seeing how you are both doing. I hope your infected jaw feels better! I have had a similar experience after dental work and can empathize with you, Michaelene!

Jane Anne said...

I can't believe dad is playing pool!! It's so fun to see that. How did the Swiss like the waffles?

Marie said...

Looks like so much fun. Those YSA's are so lucky. I hope your jaw is feeling better!

Susan said...

Wow, I've missed a lot of posts! They are so fun to look at. Wengen and Kleinescheidegg look amazing. I miss it!!! So sorry about your tooth. HORRIBLE. I cannot even imagine. Dad is looking pretty cool with the pool!