Tuesday, April 14, 2009

EASTER WEEKEND 2

In Switzerland, Easter weekend starts with Good Friday, when everything is closed and people go to special church services. Saturday is open again, but pretty quiet. Most people are still off work.
Sunday, is of course, Easter services, and everything is closed.
Monday is referred to as Easter Monday. Everything is still closed.

We took advantage of this extra day to go to Basel yesterday and be with Greti.
It has been Elder Grassli's dream ever since leaving Switzerland 50 years ago to see the cherry blossoms again, and we went to a lovely place where they are abundant, and there are walks through the area to enjoy the bounteous white blossoms.
It was a gorgeous, warm, sunny day and one of the real highlights of our stay here so far.
Here are some scenes.
The meadow flowers look white but they are a lovely pale pinkish blue.




Resting at the top of the hill before taking the walk back down.

We tried to take our own picture!


The dandelions were thick all over the hilly meadows. Just thick! It was beautiful!
On these days of incredible beauty, I feel that I can hardly take it all in!
I love the beauty in an almost spiritual way.
Sometimes I feel that my mortal body limits my capacity to fully absorb and appreciate it all to the degree equal to the power or magnitude of the beauty.
Maybe our bodies have to be changed somewhat to be equal to the experience, as the prophets have to be changed in order to be able to speak to the Lord, or to angels. Joseph's description of his exhaustion after heavenly visitations may be an example of this.
Maybe one of the blessings of the next life is to be able to have bodies that can more fully experience true beauty.
In the meantime, I will enjoy to the degree I can!

5 comments:

Jane Anne said...

beautifully said...beautiful pictures. How great dad has been able to see those blossoms again. It looks amazing.

Marie said...

SOOOOOO gorgeous. It is so fun to see Gretel.

Dean and Sheri said...

I'm drooling! How stunning the blossoms are. I have been told the cherry blossoms in DC and Japan are beautiful. I think seeing the Swiss blossoms in person would be wonderful.

Unknown said...

Hi Michaelene and Leonard. It's beautiful there and it looks like you guys are having the time of your life there. We are so glad. We miss you but we can see there is no place you'd rather be. Thanks for blogging for us to share in your experience. I just want to send my love and say that you are both very special people. May the Lord continue to attend you there. Love Susie

sara said...

oh my word mom!!! these are soooo pretty!!! I bet dad is in heaven....now wonder spring has always been his favorite season!