Saturday, March 28, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LENSKI

My companion had his birthday yesterday, Friday,March 27.
I love this guy!
He is a wonderful husband, father, grandfather and missionary companion.
I am blessed that he was born into this world and that I was fortunate enough to find him. My life would have taken entirely different directions without him.
Happy Birthday, Honey! Leonard, the Birthday Boy
The day before, I made rhubarb custard pie, his favorite from his childhood when his mother made it.

On Friday, we invited his family to lunch at a wonderful restaurant, Hotel Bubendorf, the "hotel with a heart," (note heart-shaped plates and heart motifs on the plates) near Bubendorf, south of Basel.
Around the table we were . . .


. . . his sisters, Marlies . . .



. . . and Greti . . .


. . . and his brother-in-law Sergio, seen here with Greti.

The siblings

Okay, I know I'm a food fanatic, but here goes with the meal!
This was the appetizer, smoked salmon on bread stick with ham and soft cheese.
Yummy.

This is my fresh asparagus risotto which was divine!


Sergio and Greti had beef tartare. Not my choice, but they order it nearly every time we are together.


Lenski and Marlies had fish pieces pan fried in butter and almonds, served on a bed of shredded, sauteed leek, and accompanied by curry sauce. I tasted it, and MMMMMM!
All served to us by this adorable waiter balancing plates on his arm.
And the superb ending, apfelkuechli.
They look like doughnuts but they are apple slices, battered and cooked in hot oil, then dipped in a cinnamon sugar mix, and served hot. Absolutely perfect with the wonderful vanilla ice cream.


4 comments:

Dean and Sheri said...

Happy birthday Leonard! Looks like you had a good one. What was it? Like, your 46th maybe?
Love, the Mossi's

Jane Anne said...

The food looks scruptios and dad looks SO handsome. Love you

Norris said...

You are not only the better for finding him. We all are!

Norris

Omar Hawajri said...

happy birthday dad. you are so nice dad,,, loved you and missionaries
hope to meet you dad.
love and peace from Palestine